Configuring a Windows XP staff PC to logon to the wireless network
By: Dave le Roux on: Wed 23 of Jul, 2008 [13:33 UTC] (205093 reads)
Due to the selection of wireless hardware that could be found in computers, this procedure assumes that you are using Windows to manage your wireless connections. If not, you will have to experiment with finding the correct places to input the information within this document.
Please ensure that you and your machine meet the following requirements prior to attempting to connect to the UNISA wireless network.
• A valid Unisa Active Directory account issued by the unisa help desk.
• A computer that has a wireless adapter installed. Usually these are only found in laptops NOT the desktops.
• The wireless adapter drivers for your relevant wireless hardware AND operating system must be installed.
• The wireless adapter must be switched on or enabled.
• Install XP SP3 if you are using Windows XP
• ALL the latest Microsoft Updates must be loaded after service pack 3.
Setting up the Client PC for a laptop/PC that is on the UNISA domain
1. Open the Control Panel. (Start - Control Panel )
2. Double-click on “Network Connections”. If you cannot see this option, toggle the "Switch to Classic View" option in the menu on the left of the window.
3. Right-Click? on the “Wireless Network Connection” and click on “Properties”
4. The “Wireless Network Connection Properties” window opens.
5. Select the “Wireless Networks” tab at the top.
6. Click the “Add” button.
7. Fill in the settings as below:
a. Select the checkbox next to “Connect even if this network is not broadcasting”
b. Network Name: unplugged
c. Network Authentication: WPA (or preferably WPA2)
d. Data encryption: TKIP
8. Click on the “Authentication” tab
9. Select EAP type – “Protected EAP (PEAP)”
10. Click the “Properties” button
11. Deselect the “Validate server certificate” checkbox
12. Deselect the “Enable Fast Reconnect” checkbox
13. Click the “OK” button 3 times.
14. Your PC should connect to the wireless network using your UNISA domain username and password.